The earlier you catch bugs, the less expensive they are. Every tools vendor says it. You've heard it. But in the arena of heap-related errors, such as leaks, overwrites, double-frees, and invalid references, only HeapAgent delivers it.
Unlike other tools, which insert checking functions into your source or object code, HeapAgent instruments the heap. This technique has three powerful advantages. First, it provides unsurpassed heap error detection. Second, you DON'T need to recompile or relink* -- HeapAgent works on regular debug builds! And third, HeapAgent can check for errors using idle cycles in a background thread -- WITHOUT slowing your app.
The net net: HeapAgent automatically and invisibly runs every time you run or debug your app.
* Note: If you're using the MicroSoft Visual C++/Visual Studio tools, HeapAgent will provide full error detection without the necessity to recompile or relink. However, with VS 2005 and later, you DO need to link your project to the HeapAgent library if you want HeapAgent to provide file and line numbers for any errors that it detects in your code. If you're using another (non-Microsoft) compiler, you need to relink and, if you want file and line information in your error reports, you need to recompile.
Now Shipping HeapAgent 10!
HeapAgent 10 fully supports unmanaged C/C++ projects in Visual Studio 2005, VS 2008 and VS 2010. It also maintains compatibility with earlier versions of Visual C++.
HeapAgent technical information
- How HeapAgent is different from other memory-checking tools
- Some quick examples Here are some quick examples of how you'd use HeapAgent to find overwrites, double-frees, and leakage.
From our archivesWe feel that these documents continue to be relevant, even though the versions they refer to have been superseded
- Display our white paper, "Comparing and contrasting the runtime error detection technologies used in HeapAgent 3.0, Purify NT 4.0, and BoundsChecker Pro 4.0."
- Download our white paper, "Comparing and contrasting the runtime error detection technologies used in HeapAgent 3.0, Purify NT 4.0, and BoundsChecker Pro 4.0."
- Read the HeapAgent license agreement.